If you have ever tried katsu curry you will know how absolutely delicious this amazing curry is. If you haven’t then you are in for a real treat! Warm, comforting and fragrant, it is a sure fire crowd pleaser.
This vegan tofu katsu curry recipe uses crispy, breadcrumbed tofu in place of chicken. It is surprisingly quick and easy to make, and you will want to make it again and again.
There are two main steps to the recipe, making the curry sauce, and making the crispy breadcrumbed tofu.
The curry sauce is made in just 20 mins, just add the ingredients in a large pan, simmer until cooked, blend and you are ready to go!
The tofu takes a little more preparation, but it is straightforward and so worth it!
Serve with fluffy white rice, salad and spring onions for mouthwatering treat that feels really indulgent, but is also really healthy!
The best type of breadcrumbs to use are Japanese panko breadcrumbs, which you can find in most supermarkets, or you can buy online.
For best results use a really firm tofu. We like the extra firm block by The Tofoo Co, or Mori-Nu Extra Firm.
We hope you enjoy making our vegan tofu katsu curry. If you do, let us know how you got on in the comments below!
- Hand Blender or Food Processor
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch (2.5cm) fresh root ginger finely chopped or grated
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp mirin or agave syrup
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 550ml vegetable stock we use Marigold Vegan Bouillon
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 280g extra firm tofu We use Extra Firm Tofoo
- 50 g panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp plant based milk we use oat milk
- pinch salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 300 g rice
- 2 spring onions sliced
- salad leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pan and then gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 2 – 3 minutes until the onion is softened. Stir frequently and do not let the mixture burn.
- Add the spices and stir to coat the vegetables, gently cook for 1 minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the carrot and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 – 15 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend the sauce using a stick blender or food processor until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Cook your rice according to the packet instructions.
- Cut the tofu into four thick slices lengthways so you end up with four flat rectangles of tofu.
- Place the flour, milk and breadcrumbs in separate dishes. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Coat each of the tofu pieces in the flour making sure you have covered all the sides.
- Then dip each piece into the plant milk, again ensuring it is evenly coated on all sides.
- Finally, coat each piece in the panko breadcrumbs, making sure they are evenly covered all over.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then gently fry each tofu piece for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are crispy and golden.
- Reheat the katsu sauce, and then pour into a dish, along with the rice.
- Slice the tofu pieces into thick slices and serve on top of the curry sauce, with salad and spring onions. Enjoy!