Missing Meringues? Then you are in luck! It is easy to make these delicious treats without eggs, using a special magic ingredient called aquafaba! Aquafaba is the liquid from a tin of chickpeas. The liquid absorbs the protein from the pulses, giving it some similar properties to egg whites. You can use it in lots of recipes, and it whisks up to white peaks, just like eggs, so you can use it to make perfect vegan meringues.
It takes quite a while to get it to froth completely, so you will need an electric whisk, or very strong arms! I promise you it is completely worth it though.
These meringues are delicious – your guests won’t notice the difference, they taste exactly like the ‘real’ thing. They are white, light and crispy on the outside, and soft and gooey in the middle.
Serve with vegan cream and strawberries for a perfect summer treat!
- Hand mixer / whisk
- 100 ml aquafaba (about one 400g tin's worth)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 120c or 100c fan assisted.
- Drain the tin of chickpeas using a sieve over jug and save the chickpeas to use in another recipe. Stir in the cream of tartar (this helps it stiffen quicker).
- Put the aquafaba into a large mixing bowl and whisk on a medium setting for several minutes (could be as much as 15 mins) until it is white and frothy and forms stiff peaks when you pull the whisks out. You should be able to hold the bowl over your head when it is ready, without it falling out! Once it looks ready - test it - if the mixture still slides around, continue mixing. As soon as it does form peaks though, stop mixing right away as the peaks can collapse if you carry on too long after this point.
- Gradually mix in the sugar, one tbsp at a time. You must do this carefully or it will collapse the mixture.
- Once all the sugar is mixed in, whisk again for a few minutes to make sure it is all thoroughly combines. It should look white and glossy.
- Cover a baking tray with greaseproof paper, then either spoon the mixture on it in 8 - 10 heaps, or you can carefully pipe it to form 'nests'.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours until full set. Turn the oven out and leave to cool down for at least 2 hours, you can even leave them overnight if you want.
- Store in an airtight container until you want to use them. Delicious with strawberries and cream!