We’ve all tried the popular brand name shop vegan bought sausage rolls right? They’re pretty good, convenient and sometimes even warm when you eat them.
What we’re about to share with you is the product of hundreds of delicious prototypes and months of trial and error. Adjustments were made to every quantity and ingredient to get everything just right and all culminating with this, the greatest vegan sausage roll. After you’ve made our sausage rolls it will spoil you for all other sausage rolls so use this information carefully and be warned, nothing will ever be the same after you’ve made and eaten a Super Happy Win Food Greatest Sausage Roll!
- Food Processor
- 4 tsp dried sage
- 1½ tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp vegan stock powder we use Marigold vegan bouillon
- 2 tsp onion granules
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos or light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vegan Worcester sauce (optional)
- 400 g tin chickpeas. Use all the liquid (aquafaba) and half the chickpeas from the tin.
- 120 ml cold water
- 120 g vital wheat gluten
- 320g packet ready rolled puff pastry
- Add the ingredients except for the wheat gluten and the pastry to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the wheat gluten and mix on full power for 1 minute.
- Leave to stand for 1 minute. Then mix on full for a further minute.
- The dough should be a firm but springy consistency. If it is still quite grainy, process for a further minute.
- Form into four equal sausages approximately 15 cm (6 inches) long.
- Lightly oil four sheets of tin foil and tightly wrap each sausage, making sure there are no gaps or holes.
- Stream the sausages for 20 minutes, then turn over and steam for a further 15 minutes.
- Unwrap each one and then steam again for a further 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack until completely cold (approximately one hour).
- Pre heat the oven to 220°c (or 200°c fan).
- lay out the pasty sheet flat on a surface. Place a sausage in the bottom left corner of the pastry.
- Slice the pastry to the width of the sausage, along the entire length.
- Wrap the sausage in one complete circle of pastry, trimming off any excess at the end.
- Pinch the edges together to form a seal.
- Turn over and cut diagonal slices across the top for decoration.
- Repeat for the other sausages (you may need to cut the pasty to fit the last one)
- Place on a well oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Enjoy! Delicious hot or cold.