Everyone loves a giant, juicy, succulent cruelty free burger right?
More and more burger options have appeared in the past few years ranging from spiced vegetable patties to quite realistic meaty burgers. We at Super Happy Win Food have tried and tested every new product to hit the market and believe that our burger is the one burger to burger them all.
Our recipe has been refined to produce quite possibly the tastiest handmade burger known to man, and here’s what we do…
The recipe uses black beans, red onion, butternut squash and mushrooms to form the wet mixture, you can substitute green lentils for the black beans, aubergine for the butternut squash and any type of mushroom and onion. We had a lot of delicious fun experimenting with different combinations so feel free to get creative!
It’s worth mentioning that when you are forming the patties the amount you fold and knead the dough will affect the amount of bite in the final product. Work it very little to achieve a soft texture and give it several folds and knead to achieve more of a bite to your burger.
Serve them up however you like, I personally favour red onion rings, a few slices of gherkin (pickle), a slice of tomato all on a bed of lettuce with a jolly good squirt of Sriracha and mayonnaise on top.
- Food Processor
- Frying pan
- 30g chestnut mushrooms chopped
- 110g butternut squash chopped
- 60g red onion
- 90g black beans rinsed and drained
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- pinch pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 160g wheat gluten
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 60ml soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- Put everything except the wheat gluten into a food processor and blend until thoroughly combined to a rough paste.
- Add the gluten, and process on full power for about 30secs until it forms a loose dough.
- Fold and lightly knead the dough about three times.
- Gently knead and form into four equal sized burger shapes. The more you work the dough here the tougher the burger will be so be gentle for a melt in the mouth result and work it some more for a well done finish.
- Place directly into a steamer, no need to wrap them, and steam for 35 mins. Turing half way through.
- Finish the burgers off in a frying pan with a little oil or under the grill, about 3-4 mins each side until nicely browned.
- Serve in a bun with all your favourite burger accompaniments!