This delicious, medium spiced vegan Rogan Josh curry is quick and easy to make and much lower in fat than traditional takeaways!
The quick and easy curry paste add bags of flavour, and it stores well, so you can make up double if you like and keep it in the fridge for next time. To make the paste simply pop the paste ingredients into a mini food processor (the sort that comes with a stick blender) and pulse until smooth. It is best to chop the onion, garlic and ginger a bit before adding them, but no need to be too precise.
If you like your curries hot you can leave the seeds in the chilli or use birds eye ones, if you prefer them a bit milder, leave out the chilli powder, or reduce the amount.
To make this tasty, traditional style vegan Rogan Josh curry just add sliced onions and peppers, along with the curry paste and a few other spices to a large saucepan and simmer along with chopped tomatoes and stock for a deep, rich full flavoured curry you will want to make again and again.
This recipe uses our chicken style seitan, but you could also use soya or Quorn pieces, or a selection of mixed vegetables instead.
If you make this recipe, post a photo and use the hashtag #superhappywinfood, or let us know how you got on in the comments!
Seitan Rogan Josh
A delicious medium spiced vegan version of this traditional curry with seitan
- 1/2 small onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 mild chill pepper (seeds removed)
- 1 tsp medium chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp oil ((substitute for water for a fat free version))
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger root
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil (unflavoured such as vegetable or sunflower )
- 1/4 pint vegan stock (we use Marigold Vegan Bouillon)
- 1/2 small onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 medium mild red chilli (de-seeded)
- 4 portions Super Happy Win Food's <wprm-code><a target="_blank" href="https://superhappywinfood.co.uk/easy-seitan-chicken-chickwheat-style"></a></wprm-code><a href="https://superhappywinfood.co.uk/easy-seitan-chicken-chickwheat-style" target="_blank">Easy Seitan Chicken</a> (or you can use soya or Quorn pieces, baked tofu, chickpeas or mixed vegetables)
Make The Paste
Put all the curry paste ingredients into a small food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
Make The curry
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and peppers and gently fry for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
Add the curry paste, cumin seeds, bay leaf and cardamom seeds, stir to coat everything in the paste and then cook gently for another 2-3 mins until the paste becomes really fragrant. Stir frequently so the paste doesn't burn.
Add the chopped tomatoes and the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with a lid on for 20-25 mins, until the veg is soft, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves.
Stir in the easy chicken seitan chunks and cook for 2 mins more to warm it through.
Serve over pilau rice with warm naan and cucumber raita.
The recipe freezes well and will keep in the fridge for up to three days. It tastes even better the next day!