Our easy vegan fairy cakes recipe is one of the most popular ones on the blog, so I thought I would add a chocolate version too. Just as quick and easy as the plain version, just add a little cocoa powder to give them a chocolatey twist.
You can play around with different fillings too – diary free chocolate chunks work well, or add a mashed banana or strawberries for a fruity version.
This recipe includes a simple chocolate icing which is prefect for decorating afterwards, or you can use our buttercream icing version for a really stylish look, just add 1 tbsp of cocoa to the recipe to make it chocolate flavoured.
These are so yummy, quick cheap and easy and lots of fun to make with the kids. The only trouble is they will get eaten quickly!
- 12 hole muffin tin & cake cases
- Large bowl
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- Wire cooling rack
- 200 ml plant milk we use oat milk
- 1 tbsp white vingegar we use cider vinegar
- 200 g self raising flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 60 ml (4 tbsps) plain flavoured oil such as rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- Put 12 cake cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Stir the vinegar into the milk and leave to stand while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (about five minutes).
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in the sugar and cocoa and stir to mix.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract to the milk.
- Slowly pour the milk into the dry ingredients and stir to mix thoroughly.
- The mixture is quite wet, so it is easiest if you now transfer it to a jug to make it easy to pour into the cake cases.
- Pour the mixture into the cake cases evenly, and not quite full to the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 – 25 mins or until golden brown on top. They should spring back to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Leave to coll on a wire cooling rack. Then store in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
Simple Chocolate Icing
- Add the icing sugar and cocoa to a small bowl
- Add in warm water a little at a time and stir until completely mixed.
- Once the cakes have cooled, ice the cake with the chocolate icing and leave to set.