These quick and easy vegan fairy cakes or cupcakes, use just a few standard ingredients and are so yummy people will never guess they contain no eggs or dairy!
These cakes are easy enough to make with the kids, and use oil blended with vinegar to replace the egg, plus baking powder to help them rise.
They are light and fluffy and melt in the mouth.
Simply mix the dry ingredients together, add the wet ingredients then bake for 20 mins – easy peasy!
Once cool you can decorate them with our simple vegan buttercream icing if you wish, or they are lovely without too.
You can add dried or fresh fruit to add extra flavour.
The trick to getting them to rise, is to make sure you sieve the flour, and only add the wet ingredients to the dry ones when you are ready to put them into the over, as the raising agents will start to work right away.
Don’t open then over to check until the timer is up! They should be golden brown on top, and light and springy to the touch. Leave to cool for a few minutes, and then they can be stored in an airtight tin for 3 -4 days (if they last that long!).
- 12 hole muffin tin & cake cases
- Large bowl
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- Wire cooling rack
- 200 ml plant milk we use oat milk
- 20 ml white vingegar we use cider vinegar
- 200 g self raising flour
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 80 ml plain flavoured oil such as rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- Put 12 cake cases into a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Stir the vinegar into the milk and leave to stand while you prepare the rest of the ingredients (about five minutes).
- Seive the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and stir to mix.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract to the milk.
- Slowly pour the milk into the dry ingedients and stir to mix thorougroly.
- The mixture is quite wet, so it is easiest if you now transfer it to a jug to make it easy to pour into the cake cases.
- Pour the mixture into the cake cases evenly, and not quite full to the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 - 25 mins or until golden brown on top. They should spring back to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Leave to coll on a wire cooling rack. Then store in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
- If you like, you can ice them with our buttercream icing and decorate.