Houmous (or Hummus) is simple, cheap, quick and so delicious. Popular in the Middle East and Mediterranean, this classic dip is an absolute favourite in our house. You will never want to buy shop bought hummus again once you try making your own! It uses just 6 ingredients, just pop them into a blender, mix and you are done in less than five minutes! It freezes well, so you can make up an extra batch and have some for later. It will keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
We make it when we have chickpeas to use up after using aquafaba in a recipe (aquafafa is the water from a can of chickpeas that can be used as a vegan egg replacer).
You can add all sorts of things to give it different flavours, some favourites are pesto, harrisa, coriander and lemon, or sun dried tomato.
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained (keep aquafaba for other recipies!
- 2 tbsp olive oil preferably extra virgin
- 1 tsp tahini (you can leave this out for a lower fat version)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic or half a tsp of garlic puree
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and purée until very smooth. Scrape any extra from the sides down and re-blend.
- If it looks a bit stiff or dry, add a little more water.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with warm flatbread bread, or on toast or however you like best!