We love you here at Super Happy Win Food! Because we love you so much, we’re giving you this, our seitan jerky recipe.
These peppery, hot, sweet, spicy and smokey slices of heaven never last more than five minutes in our house, you’ll see why when you’ve made it the first time!
To make this you’ll need to cook a batch of our regular Seitan Dippers first, to be fair you might want to make a double batch, this stuff is so good you’ll be sad when you’ve eaten it all and there’s none left.
After much experimenting with the sauce, levels of flavour and texture we are totally behind this one as a gold place winner snack, let us know what you think in the comments section.
- 1 batch seitan dipper dough Add 0.5 tsp of coarse ground black pepper to the dry ingredients before making the dough and simmering.)
- 3/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan worcester sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- Preheat your oven to 100°C (fan assisted) or 80°C in a regular oven.
- Make a batch of seitan dipper dough, adding 0.5 tsp of coarse ground black pepper to the dry ingredients, or more or less to taste of course.
- Using a sharp chefs knife, slice the seitan in to pieces along the longest edge of each dough. You want to make each slice about 3-4mm.
- Put all the processed slices into a dish and cover with the marinade, cover and pop this in to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Now place every slice on to a baking tray ensuring that each piece has a little room around it to bake properly. It'll fill a few baking trays easily!
- Paint each slice with extra marinade then pop in to the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes take out the trays and turn each piece over, apply more marinade then pop back in to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Check that the jerky hasn't dried out and gone crispy throughout the bake. The finished product should be chewy but not brittle. It'll depend on your oven of course but worth checking throughout as a spoiled batch is sorrowful!
Remove jerky from trays and leave to cool for 5/10 minutes if you can, alternatively eat now, right now, go on, EAT IT!This will store for a few days in an airtight container in the fridge and actually becomes more delicious and chewy the next morning, if you have more self-control than we do!