Pancakes are so versatile and delicious and it is easy to make a vegan version using just a few ingredients.
It is best if you use a good non-stick pan as this will produce better results. Make sure you get the pan really hot before adding the batter and swirl it round to coat the pan evenly.
Serve with classic lemon and sugar, fruit and ice cream, chocolate sauce to make a yummy dessert anytime.
Vegan Pancakes (crepes)
- 110 g plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour optional but add a bit of an 'eggy' flavour
- 240 ml plant based milk
- 1/2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp dairy free margarine
- Put all the ingredients apart from the margarine in a large jug and mix with a fork or hand blender until they form a smooth batter. If using a fork, add a little milk at a time to the flour to avoid lumps. Leave to stand.
- Melt a tsp of margarine in a good frying pan until it is melted, swirl it round to coat the whole bottom of the pan. Let the pan get really hot, but do not allow the margarine to burn.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add around 2 tbsps of batter to the centre of the pan. Immediately swirl the batter around so that it coats the pan evenly in a circle and then leave to cook for about a minute.
- Use a spatula or similar to check if the underside is golden brown and if no flip the pancake over and cook for about 1 minute on the other side. Serve immediately with your favourite toppings.