It is with great pleasure we present to you our home made lasagne. Nothing comes close to making your own multi layered, pasta based, delicious tray of gorgeousness!
With this recipe you literally wield the power to create an entire lasagne, at any time. You can share this with up to 8 other people (or sneakily just sit down with a good movie and a fork and we won’t tell if you don’t).
- 1 large saucepan.
- 1 medium saucepan.
- 1 large, fairly deep rectangular baking dish.
- 1 500g packet dried lasagne sheets
- 1 medium red or white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 stick celery diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp vegan bouillon or other stock
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 400g packet soya mince or other vegan mince
- 800ml water
- 100g plain white flour
- 100g dairy free spread
- 500ml vegan stock
- 500ml plant milk we use oat
- 8 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 200°c (or 180°c fan).
Make the bolognaise sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, stir and gently fry for a further 2-3 mins until they start to soften.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the water., then stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 mins, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the sauce until smooth with a stick blender.
- Add the mince and cook on a medium heat until the mince is heated through.
- Set aside.
Make the white sauce
- While your bolognaise sauce is cooking, prepare the white sauce.
- Mix the milk and the stock together in a jug.
- Melt the spread in a saucepan, then add the flour and stir until it make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add the liquid, a little bit at a time, stirring all the time, letting each bit be absorbed before adding any more.
- Once all the liquid has been added, you should have a smooth sauce. Add the nutritional yeast and then cook for 5-10 mins more. Stand aside.
Construct the lasagne
- In a dish, spread a small amount of white sauce (about a ladleful) across the bottom, then cover the base of the dish with a layer of lasagne sheets, breaking them to fit the space if needed.
- Cover this with a layer of the bolognaise sauce, then cover that with a layer of white sauce and finally another layer of pasta sheets.
- Repeat this process again, finishing with a layer of pasta sheets, and finally top with a layer of white sauce. Make sure you cover the entire top of the dish. You will have three layers of pasta and sauce.
- Grate the vegan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the pasta is completely soft all the way through (you can test this by push a sharp knife into the layers, if it goes in easily, its cooked).
- Leave to stand for about 15 mins to firm up, then cut into portions and serve with a green salad or veg.