This mouthwatering, fragrant, South Indian inspired vegetable curry is both delicate and creamy, and packed with the fresh, beautiful flavours of ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, and chilli. It all cooks in one pot and is easy and quick to make.
Turmeric gives this dish its vibrant yellow colour, fresh spices give it its wonderful flavour and coconut milk adds a comforting richness. You can use any combination of bright vegetables, so it is good if you have a few things that need eating up. It is best to use cumin and coriander seeds rather than ground spices if you can, to keep the bright colour.
This dish works well with just vegetables, but you can also add cubes of simple baked tofu, or pieces of our seitan chicken for an extra protein punch.
Serve over steamed rice, with a sprinkle of chilli, fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime.
- Large Cooking Pot
- ½ medium brown onion thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger finely chopped or grated
- ½ green chilli pepper (medium heat) finely diced
- ½ red chilli pepper (medium heat) finely sliced
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce or light soy sauce
- 300ml coconut milk
- 600ml vegan stock we use Marigold Bouillon
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder (or medium if you prefer it hotter)
- 2 medium carrots sliced into thin batons
- 2 medium courgettes sliced into thin batons
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 medium butternut squash cubed
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or plain flavoured oil
- Prepare the vegetables and spices in advance.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and coriander and cumin seeds when hot.
- Gently fry the onion and seeds for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is softened slightly, and the seeds begin to splutter, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, fresh green chilli, turmeric, fenugreek and chilli powder and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetables, and stir to coat in the spices.
- Pour in the stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid for 15 minutes until the vegetables are nearly cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk, vegan 'fish' sauce (or soy), curry leaves, chopped tomatoes and fresh coriander (reserve a little for a garnish) and the juice of one lime.
- Gently simmer for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the vegetables are all cooked through.
- Serve over steamed rice, garnished with fresh red chilli and fresh coriander with a wedge of lime.