Are you finding shop bought roasts a little bland? Have you had enough of that nut roast? Are you crying out for the perfect Sunday joint? Then look no further, Super Happy Win Food have got your back! We are delighted to present our vegan seitan chicken roast joint.
Whether it’s your Sunday roast or that all important Christmas dinner, we’ve come up with the centrepiece to your meal with our vegan seitan chicken and Stuffing roast joint!
This is a succulent and delicious joint that will leave you and your guests wanting more every time. Serve with all the trimmings and of course onion gravy to finish it off to perfection.
You can of course just slice of a piece and eat it straight of the joint, not that we do that here of course….
Simple and quick to make, this is a wonderful, low fat, meat replacement for your vegan roast dinner or Christmas sandwich.
We’ve included the full method and an all in one if you’re in hurry (see the notes at the end), both have been tested again and again to ensure perfect results every time.
- Food Processor
- Stick blender
- Electric herb mill/pestle and morter
- Aluminium foil
- 200 ml boiling water
- 1 400g tin cooked chickpeas and aquafaba from tin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 g vital wheat gluten
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 cracks black pepper
- 3 tsp vegan bouillon powder
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 85 g sage and onion stuffing The smaller box available
Sage and Onion Stuffing
- Add 175ml boiling water to the stuffing mix in a bowl
- Mix until consistent
- Leave to stand whilst you make the dough
Full method for dough
- Put the 200ml of water, lemon juice and the tin of chickpeas with all of the juice from the tin into a plastic jug
- Using a stick blender blitz until it makes a completely smooth paste
- Grind the thyme, sage, onion and garlic granules using an electric herb mill or pestle and mortar until it makes a fine powder with no bits in it
- Add to this the nutritional yeast, stock powder, mustard powder, white pepper, black pepper and salt and grind until consistent
- Put all of the above in to the food processor and using a plastic blade blitz for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Now add the gluten to the food processor and mix on full power for 1 minute
- Leave to stand for 1 minute
- Mix on full power again for 1 minute.
Making the joint
- Spread the dough flat and measure it to be as wide as your steamer and twice as long
- Roll out the stuffing to match the width of the dough then place near the top of the dough
- Roll up the stuffing with the dough and create the joint shape
- Tuck in excess dough around the roll of the joint, try to make this as uniform as possible
- Oil a sheet of aluminium foil then roll up the roast as tightly as you can, cover this with another layer of foil so it looks like the picture.
- You'll need to gently force this into the steamer
- Steam for 45 minutes
- Turn out the joint the pop it back in upside down and steam for a further 45 minutes
- When the joint has finished steaming, remove the foil, pop it on to a cooling rack and leave to stand for 30 minutes, this will let it tighten up and form an outer layer.
- Carve in to slices and serve!
- If you manage to keep this overnight in the fridge make sure you wrap it up, you'll be able to slice it much finer for that Christmas sandwich you've been dreaming of!