This recipe was a firm family favourite of my childhood. The scone topping makes it a lovely hearty meal, but it does work just as well without if you don’t have time. This is an easy meal to ‘veganise’ with some simple swaps for vegan versions of butter and sausages to complete the meal. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500 ml vegan vegetable stock (we use Marigold Vegan Bouillon)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 sticks celery finely chopped
- 1 300g tin cannellini Beans drained and rinsed (or any white beans will do)
- 100 grams green beans sliced
- 1 small aubergine diced
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and diced
- 200 grams White Mushrooms quartered
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 8 vegan sausages
- 225 grams self raising flour
- 50 grams vegan margarine
- 50 ml mild flavoured non-dairy milk (e.g. oat milk)
- Pre heat oven to 200°c (180°c for fan assisted)
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the flour and rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the milk, just a little at a time, mixing together until you have a firm dough and set aside to rest for 10 mins
- Roll out the dough to approx 2 cm thick then using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes for the top.
- Put the sausages on a greased baking tray in the oven for approx 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and celery until soft, stirring to make sure they don't burn.
- Add the spices and cook, stirring all the time for 2 mins to coat the vegetables.
- Add the remaining vegetables, the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, dried herbs, beans and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, put a lid on and cook for 15 - 20 mins, until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, take the sausages out of the oven and chop into chunky slices, then stir into the hotpot.
- Transfer the hotpot to a large ovenproof dish and arrange the scone shapes on top. Brush with a little dairy free milk
- Bake for 15 - 20 mins until the topping is golden. Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.