On long, chilly, grey winter days when you think the outside will never dry out and the sun may well not shine again this side of oblivion, I like to get a steamy bowlful of this inside me. It’s super hearty and totally filling. Best enjoyed under a blanket with a familiar box-set to dive into. The seitan bacon is optional but encouraged x
Hearty winter veg and bacon soup
- 200 grams White mushrooms cut in to quarters
- 450 grams white potatoes cut in to small cubes
- 2 medium carrots medium slice then halve
- 2 sticks celery fine sliced
- 1 medium brown onion fine dice
- 2 slices seitan bacon slice in to lardons
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock 5 tsp of bouillon to 1.5 litres boiling water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp cornflour mix with a little cold water to form a runny liquid
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- A shake to taste Salt and pepper
- Add the stock and nutritional yeast to the pot and bring to the boil.
- Put all of the vegetables and the thyme in to the stock
- Stir then cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- When all of the vegetables are soft, add the bacon lardons (optional) and the cornflour mixture.
- Stir this all in and continue to do so until the soup thickens.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley and serve, enjoy!