This is a firm family favourite in our house! It is simple, quick and cheap to make and a delicious, healthy alternative to the classic meat version.
You can use dried green or puy lentils if you prefer, just cooked them according to the package instructions before adding the recipe. Red lentils also work well, just add them when you add the tomatoes, along with an extra 250ml of water and increase the cooking time by 5 -10 mins or until the lentils are cooked through.
This sauce also works well in lasagne, or in a pasta bake. If freezes well, so make more and save for a quick mid week dinner.
Lentil Spaghetti Bolognese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 100 g mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 400g tins green lentils drained and rinsed
- 2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml vegan stock
- 1 tsp yeast extract (marmite)
- 1 tsp vegan worcester sauce
- 2 tsp dried basil or oregano (or handful of chopped fresh)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 300g spaghetti
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté the onions, garlic and celery until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the other vegetables and cook over a gentle heat until they start to soften (around 3- 5 mins).
- Add the tomatoes, stock, herbs, yeast extract, Worcester sauce, tomato puree and nutritional yeast (if using).
- Stir and then cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 mins until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are cooked, adding a little more water if it looks too dry.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Using a hand blender, blend the sauce in the pan until it is fairly smooth (you can leave this step out if you prefer a chunky veg sauce).
- Stir in the lentils and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the spaghetti and server with the sauce, sprinkled with your favourite vegan cheese if liked. Enjoy!