Some years ago now, I was fortunate enough to spend some time juggling for children in India. I travelled with a dear friend of mine who knew the village we were staying in really well and we had lunch in a restaurant called Krishna’s nearly every day.
This soup was my enduring memory of that place. The original soup had little pieces of onion bhaji in it which I’ve subbed tofu in place of. My recipe is based only on my memory from 15 years ago so may be vastly different from its origins, but the memory is a cherished one and the soup is good!
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- 25g fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 green birds eye chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (approx 35g), chopped
- 200g white mushrooms sliced
- 280g extra firm tofu we used Tofoo, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 litre vegan vegetable stock we used Marigold bouillon
- Prepare the ingredients and make up the vegan stock.
- Dry fry the coriander seeds until they start to pop.
- Add stock medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, keeping a little coriander and spring onion back to garnish.
- Reduce heat and simmer without a lid for 30mins to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Serve with the coriander and spring onion sprinkled on top.