Craving a delicious cheesy melting pastry treat? Then these moreish, tasty snacks are for you! Super easy to make and ready in just 20 mins. All you need is some ready rolled puff pastry (check it’s vegan) and your favourite vegan ‘bacon’ and ‘cheese’ and you are good to go! If you are feeling adventurous, you can whip up a batch of our homemade seitan ‘bacon’ to use in this recipe (soooo goood).
We have been trying out the new ‘Crack’d’ egg replacer in a few recipes (you can get it in the chilled aisle in Morrison’s and online). Unlike most egg replacers, it is in liquid form, rather like beaten eggs. It works really well as a ‘eggwash’ for pastry, giving them a lovely golden colour. If you can’t find it though, a little plant based milk works just as well.
Perfect for weekend breakfasts, parties or special occasions, they will keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days (if you can resist them that long…).
- Baking tray
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 6 rashers vegan bacon We like Richmond's meat free rashers, or our own seitan bacon!
- 150g vegan cheese, grated we like Violife Epic Mature
- 1/2 tbsp Crack'd egg replacer or plant based milk
- Pre heat your oven to 200°C or 180°C fan.
- Roll out the puff pastry, leaving it on the baking paper it comes on.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into six equal squares
- Sprinkle half the 'cheese' diagonally across the centre of each square
- Lay a rasher of bacon across the line of cheese on each one.
- Top with the rest of the cheese, leaving a gap on each side.
- Dab each of the opposite corners of each square with Crack'd egg replacer, or non-dairy milk.
- Fold one side of each square into the middle, and the other side over the top, to make a long rectangle.
- Brush the tops with egg replacer or milk then place into the oven for 15 -20 mins until golden brown on top and the cheese is lovely and melted.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes on a cooling rack, then serve warm.