Not sure what to have for breakfast? Mushrooms on toast. Fancy a delicious light lunch? Mushrooms on toast. The very bare bones of vegan cuisine right here, a classic, a culinary institution, an absolute world beating, mind-blowing, easy to make and easier to devour… MUSHROOMS ON TOAST!
It’s such a classic but if you haven’t had this before then you can thank us later for the heads up.
A few notes on correct mushroom preparation:
1: Slice your mushrooms to make them easier to pile on toast.
2: Halve your mushrooms if you prefer.
3: You can literally tear them apart with your bare hands and cook them and it will taste same, which is amazing.
It’s creamy, it’s hearty, it makes you feel all lovely inside with every mouthful… Why aren’t you eating mushrooms on toast right now?
- 300g mixed mushrooms, sliced button / white / chestnut / field
- 3 tbsp dairy free spread or olive oil
- 1 pinch salt & pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried or fresh parsley
- 1 pinch vegan stock powder (optional)
- 1 pinch nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ tbsp soya cream
- 2 slices your favourite bread to serve
- Melt the spread or heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until they start to release their liquid.
- Add the seasoning and herbs and cook on a medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced. Toast your bread.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Pile on top of hot buttered toast and sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve. Enjoy!