It’s finally here everyone, the moment you’ve been waiting for, it’s EPIC CHILLI NON CARNE TIME!
I am a complete chilli addict and as such I have to get B to check food before I serve it to the family as I don’t seem to have any low level chilli receptors left! I like really hot food but the flavours have to be there too, this recipe packs some serious depth and you can make it family friendly (no heat) or full power depending on your tastes.
Out of everything I cook it’s always going to be chilli as my number 1, top spot favorite food. This recipe has been tweaked and refined over the past decade or so and I’m so proud to let it out in to the world to go and spread its veganistic joy to you all. And yes, that totally is a word now.
- 1 litre Vegan boullon
- 4 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black onion/nigella seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp yeast extract Marmaite or equivalent
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp course ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 2 tbsp red miso paste (optional)
- 250ml red wine of your own choice (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger (optional for extra heat!)
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chilli flakes (optional for extra heat!)
- 1 dried red chilli (optional for extra heat!)
- 1 fresh deseeded red finger chilli finely chopped (optional for extra heat!)
- 1 pinch cayanne pepper (optional for extra heat!)
- 1 pinch hot chilli powder (optional for extra heat!)
- 400 g tin of cooked kidney beans wash thoroughly
- 400 g tin of aduki or black beans wash thoroughly
- 1 medium brown onions fine dice
- 1 red pepper medium dice
- 200 g white or chestnut mushrooms large dice
- 2 sticks celery fine dice
- 1/4 cup sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g soya mince
Making the broth
- Add 4 tsp of vegan bouillon in to a litre of boiling water in a measuring jug and stir.
- Add all the ingredients from the stock list to the jug and stir until consistent.
- Set aside and leave to brew.
- It's so very good, just look at how nommy it is, you want chilli right now don't you? Go on....
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan
- Add the onion and celery and cook until soft
- Add the kidney and black beans, red pepper, mushrooms and sweetcorn with all of the stock.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and leave for 20 minutes stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Remove the 2 whole star anise and dried chilli from the pot and add the soya mince. Cook for a further ten minutes
- Throw a handful of fresh chopped coriander in to the pot, stir in then serve.
- Chilli improves it's flavor overnight so if you can save some in the fridge for the next day all of the gorgeousness will increase and you'll have a deeper, richer tasting chilli fest for breakfast!
This also freezes really well too x